Friday, May 1, 2009

this one gets a little serious... too soon?



So I've never really been a girly girl.
I've never had the "white picket fence, two kids and a dog" dream.
I've been telling everyone for as long as I can remember I will  never have babies, at least not of my own.
And I don't really foresee myself getting married.

My mom finally accepted all of this about a year or so ago...
One day she just looked at me and said you know, I really don't ever see you getting pregnant.
That was a refreshing moment, you know moms with daughters who are in there 20s and 30s still single, renting and still "finding themselves" tend to get the "i want to be a grandma" hints a lot.
I'm pretty lucky to have parents who aren't pushy, friends who will have babies for me to spoil, and a way to keep my values the way I want them.

I never pictured myself in the white fluffy dress and walking down the aisle.
I've never had a song that will be played at my wedding.
I've never thought about who my maid of honor would be.

I never really cared about being a bride.
I don't understand the marriage thing - I've always lived by my own set of standards.
I don't think I will settle down with one man for the rest of my life.
I just don't see that as a logical plan for myself, maybe I'm way too independent, maybe I've never been "in love" maybe I'm completely fooling myself.
I just I don't like to fall into categories.
I like being simple and living right now.

That being said.
I am 100% completely obsessed with brides with tattoos.
I google them.
I have a folder of pictures.
I love them so much.








4 comments:

  1. I love this! It makes me smile. I think you're obsessed b/c IF you did get married, these are the pictures that you'll have --it's who you identfy with. Plus it shows how perfectly beautiful these girls are in their wedding dresses..it's a great response to "what about when you get married"

    If you could blog on the "what are you going to do when your 50 respons" that would be great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitely thought i wanted the whole "american dream" thing.. then i realized i am way too independent for that. i cant legally sign my life away, there is no room for a clean break. my point being... i agree with everything you just said :).

    and we both know that tattoos make fancy outfits sexier. girls with tattoos are sexy. plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I never thought I'd get married or have a house or a dog between the ages of 20-23. Things changed at 24. ;) Obviously, we'd all be worse off if I hadn't changed my mind about the dog!

    Despite all that, I never had to do the giant wedding thing because eloping rules.

    Oh, and the pics RULE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh crista. i love you because you will never change. and you will shake your first at people for giving you a look. i never will get married. but not for the same reasons. ben is too much for to not put as much time as possible into. you should at least have a litter of kittens or two.

    ReplyDelete