Monday, March 29, 2010

Just going to put this on the table...


I've been thinking a lot about sexism, and feminism a lot lately. And noticing some really bizarre patterns in my life that I guess I was a bit blind to until this point.


This weekend, I took my dad out to dinner. We went to a "sports bar" he diggs chicken wings he's a southerner after all. While waiting to get seated I put my name on the list, and stepped aside; had a bit of a wait. I was told how long it would be and that my name would be called when a table was ready. Standing near the host booth, I observed the way the man treated everyone in line after me. They were all male, and he asked each of them if they were there to eat, or for the fight. Now I am a girl, there with my dad, but I was the only one in the entire 45 minute period that was not asked if I was there for the fight. I was only there to hang with my pops and eat, but I still found it to be a bit rude that I was not asked. I'm not being sensitive here, I know most females don't enjoy this stuff but I do know plenty who do. When the majority of patrons are there for one of two things, why couldn't the question be voiced to all?


Today I've been talking with my best, about chicks with tattoos. I've come to learn the social stigma against tattoos for the most part is not very apparent in my daily life. Yeah my grandma still cringes when she sees 'em but I work a 9-5 in a semi corporate setting and have plenty of friends doing the same, with beautiful tattoos. But I am still awestruck by the fact that females, with tattoos often get looked at as sluts or easy. It just doesn't make sense to me. A man with a tattoo is fine and tough, and never a whore. This also doesn't give anyone who wants the open invitation to touch me. This is my body, I did decide to make it what I feel better to look at; but keep your damn hands off me. Just because I am the girl with tattoos in the bar, doesn't mean I would go home with you, when the wholesome girl in the pink polo wont.


I really never considered myself a feminist. Over the last 6 months or year, I've found myself more often defending my gender. I'm a strong independent female. It's just kind of strange, that just being that has to be labeled in such a way. Maybe it's the connotation that has always gone with the phrase, that makes me cringe a little (which is a whole other can of worms). Wanting to be looked at equally for many of the things am, I just find it a little silly that I would have to throw that label on myself. Tattooed, female, native, short, whatever else you want to throw in the mix. I've just felt a lack of respect from people around me, that I never really noticed before.


Well that's a lot to digest, and a little more serious then I tend to go on the internets. But hey sometimes you gotta get these things off your back. And my iChat partner in crime is away in a meeting. Damn.


Edit: Another shining example while we're at it. I went to lunch with one of my best friends yesterday, who happens to be a dude. When the bill came it was placed directly in front of him, no where near the middle of the table. It's 2010 who isn't going dutch?

5 comments:

  1. i know it's ultra-cliche now, but "feminism is the radical idea that women are people" really says a lot.

    i think the word has been co-opted and/or mutated by a million different people and ideologies, but that's the basis of it. we recognize that the world is sexist and then act to create real justice around gender issues. doesn't seem too controversial. i've found that embracing labels can be just as empowering as rejecting them, but that's a personal preference for everyone I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should start a movement to put the bill in front of the girl amongst wait staff in the US! It's 2010 Ladies and Gents get your minds right! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. on the subject of tattooed girls, our friend Erica said that I was like a puppy in that boys pay more attention to me because I am heavily tattooed. I usually can quietly say thank you and walk away from the person to avoid awkward convos about them or can tell peripherally if someone is dying to see what is peeking out from underneath my short sleeve. Sometimes it's obnoxious other times I don't mind it. Most of the time people aren't keen enough to know what it is that I have tattooed on me so, watching them in confusion tryna figure out what it all means like the meaning of life or some shit. I have had them for so long it's numbed down a lot. I understand that people are curious about them and always want to know what they mean or what they are, I don't mind taking a moment to explain them to someone, but CERTAINLY don't appreciate being manhandled by a drunk-ey or tactless person.

    I would think that in this era of the "independent woman" we wouldn't be such an apalling sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no issues showing off my tattoos, in fact i love doing it. i got them for a reason. but don't touch me or my tattoos! i will attack.
    i can't recall the last time a guy offered to pay for dinner. i don't drink but the last date i went on? i bought my own diet coke too. not so much as an offer to pick up that $1.73 tab. and i live in the south where chivalry is supposed to run free.

    leave it to fox news to burst my (your? our?) bubble. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589974,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. They put the bill in front of me because I am mr. money bags.


    That plus everyone thinks you and I are dating.


    Yep.

    ReplyDelete